From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 09:28:18
1 On Sunday, 28 August 2022 00:30:08 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:37 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com
4 > >
5 > > <mailto:markknecht@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > > > On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
7 > >
8 > > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
9 > > > <SNIP>
10 > > >
11 > > > > I have looked into OpenNAS and other NAS OS stuff. Some are on
12 > >
13 > > USB sticks and basically, you shut it down, upgrade the USB stick,
14 > > insert it back into NAS and boot up.
15 > >
16 > > > <SNIP>
17 > > >
18 > > > The first version of TrueNAS I used was on a USB stick and it worked
19 > >
20 > > fine so I'm fairly confident you'd be at least functional.
21 > >
22 > > One last thing for now - if you do buy a used MB do some research into
23 > > whether it will actually boot from USB. One of the ones I bought
24 > > actually did not do that so I had to dig up a old DVD drive to install
25 > > from a CD.
26 > >
27 > > - M
28 >
29 > I've got a older donated machine that doesn't boot from USB too. The
30 > newer donated machine does, I've booted from USB sticks before. I'm
31 > going to pull the side off and see how many drives it can hold and such
32 > in a bit. If I gather up enough steam. As it is, I only need three at
33 > the moment, four maybe later. Most come with six but this is a factory
34 > built machine. I can't recall what it comes with.
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
39
40 Depending on the age of the MoBo, even if it can't boot from USB, it should be
41 able to boot with 'pixie'. Set up a tftp PXE server on your LAN and the old
42 MoBo will fetch the image(s) to boot with. You can take a look here for
43 ideas:
44
45 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/
46 Installation_alternatives#Diskless_install_using_PXE_from_the_LiveCD