From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ideas for a mini-FAQ/HOWTO
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:45:29
1 On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 01:06:54AM -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote
2
3 > I don't necessarily agree with using "-*" in your USE flags, simply
4 > because I think the USE flags in the /etc/make.conf are meant to
5 > enhance the builds with options you plan on using. Default USE
6 > flags, as identified by the developers, typically are limited to
7 > those components that the package needs to function correctly.
8 >
9 > And for those things that you really don't want to have, you can
10 > always specify the negative USE flag, i.e. "-gnome" to totally
11 > disable gnome (which is what I use).
12 >
13 > Using "-*" basically says that you know better than the developers,
14 > which is a position I wouldn't want to take...
15
16 One size does not fit all. Default flags have been a pet peeve of
17 mine since the "ipv6" fiasco.
18
19 > Otherwise the content was fine, but it makes me wonder why it would be
20 > necessary. New folks migrating to Gentoo are going to use the handbook,
21 > and I don't believe the handbook tells them to enable
22 > framebuffer/bootsplash, etc.
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap10
25
26 suggests that it's OK, specifically the sentences...
27
28 > But before we install one of these two bootloaders, we inform you
29 > how to configure framebuffer (assuming you want it of course). With
30 > framebuffer you can run the Linux command line with (limited)
31 > graphical features (such as using the nice bootsplash image Gentoo
32 > provides).
35 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
36 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
37 --