From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cannot open display
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 11:16:55
1 On Saturday, 31 August 2019 23:41:13 BST Tamer Higazi wrote:
2 > Hi people,
3 >
4 > For a specific time I have a very strange behaviour on gentoo.
5 > I cannot start any applicaion on xfce, just logout or shutdown the machine.
6 >
7 > When I try through an existing open shell to execute a program I get
8 > this error:
9 >
10 > tamer@tux / $ firefox-bin
11 > No protocol specified
12 > Error: cannot open display: :0.0
13 >
14 > Can somebody tell me what's wrong here?
17 > best, Tamer
18
19 It may be related to an obscure old networkmanager bug, whereby it changes the
20 hostname in /etc/hosts. I don't use networkmanager and I don't use xfce to
21 comment on particulars, but here's some generic things to check:
22
23 1. Have a look at the 'Host and domain information' section and at the 'The
24 hosts file' section in the handbook and configure them accordingly:
25
26 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/System
27
28 2. Does 'echo $HOSTNAME' show what you have configured in your system, after
29 you restart networkmanager, or reboot?
30
31 3. Have you added /etc/init.d/hostname to your boot runlevel?
34 Regards,
35
36 Mick