From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ipw2200 chipset mini wireless card
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:28:45
1 On Friday, May 5 2006 22:14, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I have a new sony lappy with a ipw2200 chipset mini wireless card.
3 > Should I be using the in kernel (2.6.16-r3) drivers or the builds in
4 > portage? Is the a configuration guide for this setup on gentoo?
5 >
6 > BillK
7 >
8 > --
9 > William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
10 > Home!
11
12 I recommend the in-kernel drivers, simply because they are much more
13 convenient and easier to get working. Just configure it like any other
14 wireless device, there is a section in the handbook on wireless networking
15 iirc. Otherwise there is plenty of information in /etc/conf.d/net.example
16 and /etc/conf.d/wireless.example. Also, you'll need to emerge
17 ipw2200-firmware regardless of whether you use the in-kernel or external
18 driver, firmware-2.4 is needed for the in-kernel driver and firmware-3.0 is
19 needed for the external driver, they are slotted so both firmwares can
20 coexist nicely.
23 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list