From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:18:47
1 Hello Jerry McBride,
2
3 > Just my two cents worth here. Often I find a need to generate a
4 > duplicate of an existing gentoo installation and to ease the build
5 > process I run this script via cron...
6 >
7 > #!/bin/sh
8 >
9 > rm /portage.list/*.*
10 >
11 > emerge -pe --color=n system > /portage.list/system.list
12 > emerge -pe --color=n world > /portage.list/world.list
13 >
14 > Basicly it generates a list of installed ebuilds for both the system
15 > and world model.
16
17 Why not just backup the world list itself, /var/lib/portage/world? Your
18 method doesn't distinguish between packages in world and their
19 dependencies, emerging from this would result in a screwed world file.
20
21 The system list is contained in your profile, so you just need a note of
22 where /etc/make.profile points, which you will already have is you
23 backup /etc.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 If you smoke after sex, you're doing it too fast.