From: Jean-Christophe Bach <jc.bach@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:59:28
1 * hasufell <hasufell@g.o> [21.08.2013. @16:48:10 +0200]:
2
3 > On 08/20/2013 05:12 PM, Randy Westlund wrote:
4 > > I've heard several people mention jitsi, but was surprised to find that it's not in the portage tree.
7 > Jitsi is written in java and thus by design buggy, bloated and hard to
8 > maintain.
9
10 What a categorical opinion! Developers are writing code and are making
11 bugs, whatever the language they use. I am pretty sure I am able to
12 write buggy, bloated and hard to maintain with Haskell, Ada, Java or any
13 other language…
14 It is really easy to criticize the programming language instead of
15 reviewing the development methods.
16
17 The main problem of writing an ebuild for a Java application comes from
18 bad habits in the Java world: people are usually distributing all
19 libraries and the program in a big ball of mud. It is great for Windows
20 users or for users who do not use a real packages manager, but it needs
21 lot of work to have clean packages.
22
23 Regards,
24