From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on encrypting my /home
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:23:13
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 8/19/06, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> Would you recommend to use the initramfs from the HOWTO, or might there
4 >> be another way of doing it, staying closer at the genkernel-way of
5 >> doing it?
6 >
7 > Well genkernel also allows you to specify a custom linuxrc
8 > (--linuxrc=). This is probably the route I would take with genkernel.
9 > The default is in /usr/share/genkernel/generic/linuxrc, which you can
10 > use for inspiration. Generally that script does everything that you
11 > will want to do, just not in the order you want to do it in.
12 >
13 > You have a few options for this setup. If you don't mind typing your
14
15 [...] Great infos, thank you. I will look through them in more detail as
16 soon as I have recovered from getting my current setup done.
17
18 My main concern in this context is the question:
19
20 How to maintain the encrypted partitions over time?
21 What do I have to do/remind when I want to use a newer kernel?
22
23 The maintenance-steps should be clear, as I for sure don't want to go
24 through all of this everytime a new kernel is released. Or even worse,
25 lose data ... (backups are done regularly, *yes*)
26
27 So this was the/one reason to ask for the genkernel-way.
28
29 >> Are there any comparisons between the speed of using
30 >> aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, 128bit and
31 >> aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, 256bit ?
32 >
33 > I don't have any comparisons, but it should be easy enough for you to
34 > create. Just setup a bare (not luks) mapping and do:
35 >
36 > dd if=/dev/mapper/crypt_foo of=/dev/null bs=64k count=49152
37 >
38 > This will read 3G of 'encrypted' data from the drive. You can do this
39 > without affecting any data on the disk, as long as you do *not*
40 > luksFormat it. Remember to keep an eye on the CPU usage of this with
41 > vmstat or top as well.
42
43 Maybe I give this a try after writing this ...
44
45 >> /dev/mapper/root is active:
46 >> cipher: serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256
47 >
48 > Generally I've found AES to be slightly faster...
49
50 I found this link at the end of the used HOWTO:
51
52 http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=UserPageChonhulio
53
54 It also shows that AES is faster than Serpent, and additionally that,
55 contrary to the Serpent-Algo, AES with 128 bits is faster than AES with
56 a 256bit key.
57
58 I will think about this a bit more before I move my data into place.
59
60 >> and the performance seems OK to me. But it could always be better ;)
61 >> I will have a look through the docs to see the security-implications of
62 >> using "only" 128bit.
63 >
64 > Just be sure to keep in mind the type of data you have and who you are
65 > trying to defend against. Researching encryption on the net is a
66 > quick way to get irrationally paranoid. The bottom line is that
67 > everything can be broken given enough time and money.
68 >
69 > So if you work for the CIA and keep the secret identies of all spies
70 > and informants on your laptop, well, then dm-crypt is not sufficient
71 > to begin with. If you work for my investment brokerage and have all
72 > your customers' financial records on your disk, I want you to use
73 > 256-bit encryption. If it is just your bank records and personal
74 > emails, use whatever you want.
75
76 No CIA, no. IT-consultant, trying to keep customer-related data
77 protected. As well as my own business-related data.
78
79 Sounds like AES-256 then.
80
81 Thanks a lot for your infos,