From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 20:54:00
1 covici@××××××××××.com writes:
2
3 > Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 8:26 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > Hi,
8 >> >
9 >> > how do you read the log files when using syslog-ng?
10 >> >
11 >> > The log file seem to be some sort of binary that doesn't display too
12 >> > well in less, and there doesn't seem to be any way to read them.
13 >> >
14 >> >
15 >> > --
16 >> > Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
17 >> > might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.
18 >> >
19 >> >
20 >> If you're talking about /var/log/messages, which is:
21 >> messages: data
22 >>
23 >> I use cat(1).
24 >
25 > I wonder if the OP is using systemd and trying to read the journal
26 > files?
27
28 Nooo, I hate systemd ...
29
30 What good are log files you can't read? If syslog-ng would actually use
31 some binary format, I'd have switched to something else.
35 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
36 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.