From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 19:30:53
1 On Sunday, 7 August 2022 19:27:42 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 11:36 AM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The best a well configured VPN tunnel can offer is a secure connection
4 > > between client and VPN server, which is handy if you are out and about
5 > > using untrusted and insecure WiFi hotspots.
6 > >
7 > > The only other reason for using a VPN service is to present a different
8 > > geolocation for the purpose of overcoming country-specific website
9 > > restrictions.
10 >
11 > I think ONLY is a bit strong here. A VPN effectively makes it
12 > impossible for your ISP to know who you're talking to, and it obscures
13 > your IP from hosts you are connecting to.
14
15 Yes, fair point. I was thinking why would you go to such an effort just to
16 obscure your comms from your ISP. I'm not saying there aren't use cases
17 supporting this endeavor. I was thinking more about political activists
18 operating under oppressive regimes where state-level surveillance would be the
19 threat model. In this case I would think state actors wouldn't rely on ISPs
20 alone to share such information, although ISP's data would be tapped into for
21 good measure.
24 > Sure, there are ways to defeat this, but most of them are only
25 > applicable for state-level actors, and the methods available to
26 > ordinary companies can only identify at best a unique browser profile,
27 > which only lets them correlate traffic with those they share info with
28 > to the degree that you use a single browser profile across those
29 > platforms. For non-web traffic there are generally fewer attacks
30 > available. Many of the attacks that are often cited like DNS-based
31 > attacks are not that difficult to prevent (eg by ensuring your DNS
32 > traffic goes out over the VPN).
33
34 Yes, careful VPN implementations would guard against DNS leaks and the like.
37 > If there are sites you browse using a different browser profile
38 > (ideally on a VM/etc), and you never use that browser profile for
39 > ecommerce or activity associated with your normal social media
40 > accounts, then it is unlikely that those sites will actually be able
41 > to identify you.
42 >
43 > Really the biggest pain with the VPNs is the number of websites that
44 > actively try to block connections from them or flood you with
45 > CAPTCHAs. Many more mainstream social media sites/etc also
46 > effectively require association with a mobile phone number, or trigger
47 > this behavior if they don't like your IP address. Obviously VPNs can
48 > be abused to attack hosts or evade bans and generally cause trouble,
49 > which is a frustration for those who simply don't want companies to
50 > know who you are.
51 >
52 > Bottom line is that just because the NSA can track your connections
53 > doesn't mean that every random webserver on the planet can do so. The
54 > few government agencies that are likely to be that well-connected are
55 > also very interested in keeping the extent of their capabilities
56 > hidden from each other, and so when they intercept your data they're
57 > going to guard it even more carefully than you would.
58
59 I would sincerely hope so. Can't vouch their contractors and subcontractors
60 would do the same in all cases though.
63 > A solution doesn't need to be able to defeat the NSA to be useful.
64
65 ACK. It boils down to use cases and requirements. I suppose people who seek
66 to avoid state surveillance would probably use multilayered encryption and
67 steganography, or better stay off the Internet all together? ;-)