From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] traceroute not working
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:52:37
1 Hi all,
2
3 Weird, I don't use it much, but needed to run a traceroute today, and it
4 is failing with:
5
6 # traceroute 192.168.1.4
7 traceroute to 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
8 send: Operation not permitted
9
10 I know the problem is in my firewall, because when I stop it,
11 traceroutes work as expected.
12
13 I have allowed all ICMP in my firewall:
14
15 Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
16 target prot opt source destination
17 <snip>
18 ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
19 <snip>
20
21 Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
22 target prot opt source destination
23 ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
24
25 Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
26 target prot opt source destination
27 <snip>
28 ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
29
30 Any ideas what I'm missing?
31
32 I can send all of my firewall rules privately if someone thinks I may
33 have something that is dropping these packets before my ALLOW rule kicks
34 in, but I'm fairly sure I have them right...
35
36 Thanks