From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Using an old kernel .config as the basis for a new .config
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 19:55:52
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 Having just built linux-4.14.7-gentoo, suddenly a new version of the
4 kernel, linux-4.14.8-gentoo-r1 has become stable. Configuring a kernel
5 from scratch is a repetitive drudge.
6
7 There is some way of initialising a new kernel .config from an existing
8 one, I am sure, but I can't find it. I've looked at the Gentoo wiki,
9 I've looked at (some of) the kernel's own documentation. The nearest I
10 can find is make oldconfig, which supposedly does what I want, but it
11 just seems to start off with a default .config and go through the
12 hundreds of questions one at a time.
13
14 So, would some kind soul please tell me how to get my old .config into a
15 new one properly. Thanks!
18 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).