From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I suppress the bleep when shutting down?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 18:04:17
1 On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 19:22:48 +0200
2 Matthias Gerstner <Matthias.Gerstner@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > It does originate from the shutdown command itself which is part of
5 > the sys-apps/sysvinit package. In this package's source you find can
6 > a file "src/dowall.c", where you will in turn find a function
7 > "wall(...)".
8 >
9 > This is the function where the warning messages will be produced that
10 > show up in the terminal and the message is produced like this:
11 >
12 > snprintf(line, sizeof(line),
13 > "\007\r\nBroadcast message from %s@%s %s(%s):\r\n\r\n",
14 > user, hostname, tty, date);
15 >
16 > The "\007" is the beep you're getting. It's a bell character that you
17 > can produce manually by doing this, too:
18
19 To add one more suggestion to your very good ones (which I've snipped),
20 there is a very small patch to remove the \007 at
21 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=614893#20>.