From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Au revoir, gnome-3.8
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:31:45
1 On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 8/9/2013 8:58 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 02:48:21PM +0200, hasufell wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> You can use a proper mail client and filter messages.
7 >>
8 >> I use the most proper mail client, but have never read HOW-TO filter
9 >> messages.
10 >> using D has worked to prune the list.
11 >
12 > Do not really wish to belabor POINTLESSLY, the topic here, but perhaps there
13 > is a more positive way to head toward ending this discussion (or at least
14 > view some implications for the future, & a more forward discussion)...?
15 >
16 > I have been preparing a AMD64 machine to install Gentoo on, had anticipated
17 > (as a present/former) Gnome user, stopped because of (video card)
18 > incompatibilities with Gnome 3 (& Gentoo, which I tried to install), on my
19 > old machine...
20 >
21 > So it seems most of the discussion on this thread is regarding "upgrading"
22 > problems... My question would be regarding a "clean" install & using Gnome
23 > 3? Thing to do (or not), & so forth.
24 >
25 > Thanks for any (hopefully) constructive suggestions/links, etc..
26
27 There has been talks about mentioning systemd as an option in the
28 handbook, but nothing is written yet. When GNOME 3.8 goes stable, the
29 GNOME team will have an upgrade howto document (as they have always
30 done), but said document isn't available yet.
31
32 I thought the wiki had more or less the basics right, but Allan made
33 me notice that it doesn't even mention consolekit, so that's also
34 incomplete.
35
36 Since I deprecated the gentoo-systemd-only overlay, I've been thinking
37 about writing guides for installing Gentoo with systemd as init
38 system, and migrating to systemd; but I haven't gotten the time.
39
40 I would recommend to install the base system (without GNOME),
41 migrating to systemd (which should be relatively easy without GNOME),
42 and then installing GNOME. If you do it when GNOME 3.8 is stable, it
43 should be even easier.
44
45 If you do it, please let us know how it went.
46
47 Regards.
48 --
49 Canek Peláez Valdés