From: "Jesús Guerrero" <6thpink@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stage tarballs
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:49:35
1 El Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:39 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> escribió:
3
4 > On Monday 16 April 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
5 > > IIRC, I started from stage 1 on my first install (2004.3), but I
6 > > wouldn't recommend anything other than stage 3 to anyone at this
7 > > point, since there's now an established procedure for changing your
8 > > CHOST if need be, and packages in system will eventually pick up any
9 > > CFLAGS customizations gradually.
10 >
11 > It's a good learning experience to do at least one stage 1 sometime
12 > in your life, you learn a *huge* amount from it.
13 >
14 > But like you say, after you've done it once, doing it again becomes
15 > pretty pointless :-)
16
17 That argument is not too good. The difference between stage3 and stage1
18 in terms of learning is this:
19
20 # you uncompress the stage, like you'd do with stage3
21 # then the portage snapshot
22 $ cd /usr/portage/scripts
23 $ ./bootstrap.sh
24 # wait
25 $ emerge -e system
26
27 Now, you are at stage3 (if all went ok, which is often not the case).
28
29 So, besides wasting your time, there is no point (even for learning
30 purposes) on doing a stage1 install. If you want to learn something
31 about the build process of a linux distro go and use linux from
32 scratch. The snippet above (actually 3 commands) is all you will learn
33 form stage1.
34
35 Of course, if you get some trouble in the way you will have to learn
36 some more things, but, first, that is not supposed to happen, and
37 second, it is not the best way to learn, cause it often leads to
38 frustration.
39
40 -- Jesús Guerrero
41 --