From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing or stopping binary emerges from being in emerge.log
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 15:39:17
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 09:50:00 +0100, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dale schrieb am 06.03.22 um 06:53:
5 >>> I have a chroot environment that I do updates in.  Once the updates
6 >>> are done, I copy the binaries and distfiles over to my running system
7 >>> and use the -k option to update everything in my real system.  It
8 >>> comes in real handy when libreoffice, Firefox, qtwebengine and other
9 >>> large time consuming packages are being updated.  The bad thing is, I
10 >>> have the full length of build time in the chroot but the binary
11 >>> install on my running system.  Is there a way to either stop it from
12 >>> logging binary updates or removing them after it is done?  I'd rather
13 >>> it not keep those times in either place really.  I can't find a
14 >>> emerge option.  It seems to record everything regardless.  My reason
15 >>> for this, the binary install times throws off genlop -c and its
16 >>> estimates.
17 >> There is a long-standing bug [1] regrading this issue but given genlop
18 >> currently is not actively developed I don't think there will be a
19 >> solution soon. It should be possible to exclude binary merges as they
20 >> can be identified in emerge.log which is read by genlop to generate the
21 >> output.
22 >>
23 >> Also I don't think there is an option in portage to not log binary
24 >> merges.
25 > It looks that way, man emerge says
26 >
27 > /var/log/emerge.log
28 > Contains a log of all emerge output. This file is always
29 > appended to, so if you want to clean it, you need to do so
30 > manually.
31 >
32 > However, genlop can, AFAIR, be pointed to a different log file, so you
33 > could maybe use grep or sed to remove the binary entries and output to a
34 > log that is read by genlop.
35 >
36 > However, I do wonder why the chroot and the host are both writing to the
37 > same log file, surely the chroot builds are logged within the chroot.
42 Well, as it is, I copy the emerge.log file over so that I have the
43 actual build time when I copy over the binaries and distfiles.  Thing
44 is, when I emerge the binaries, it adds that to the file too.  So, half
45 of file is build and half binary.  Of course, the binaries is a lot
46 faster so genlop just has a bad day.  ;-)
47
48 Guess I have to tolerate it for now.
49
50 Dale