From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 15:17:51
1 On 4/21/19 4:27 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > You will pay for it VERY quickly. A good color laser costs $200. An
3 > inkjet plus the first set of cartridges, which will last six months
4 > together, will cost you $100-150 (one way or another - either with a
5 > cheap printer with super-expensive cartridges, or an expensive printer
6 > with more reasonable cartridges).
7 >
8 > There is a reason just about any company with professional IT uses
9 > laser printers. They're just way cheaper to operate long-term, and
10 > really long-term works out to be something like a year. They also
11 > don't print photos (more on that below).
14 Most companies with IT no longer bother with laser printers, they'll use
15 large print centres (like copiers) which have a low cost-per-page (black
16 and white can be under 1c/page.) We have retired most of our laser printers.
17
18 We still have a backup laser printer... from memory it's a Kyocera
19 P5021cdw (we got them on sale for a bit over $500 CAD) - but this is the
20 only printer I've come across that has a cost per page comparable to a
21 copier/large print station. It's a bit more expensive per page, but
22 compared to HP for example it was almost half the cost to run.
23 Unfortunately I don't remember the numbers...
24
25 Dan