From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage spokes again...
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:33:25
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Corbin Bird wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The "sys-fs/eudev" package is the Gentoo fork of "sys-fs/udev" for
5 >> people who don't want systemd.
6 >
7 > Ehm... I still use "sys-fs/udev" (not eudev) without systemd.
8 > No problems so far. Do I have to worry?
11 Nope. Standalone udev is only intended to be installed on non-systemd
12 systems. udev vs eudev have their pros and cons, but requiring
13 systemd to be installed isn't among them.
14
15 To the original poster: I would start with adding -t and reviewing
16 your output before changing anything in make.conf.
17
18 Yes, adding USE=-systemd probably shouldn't cause any problems, but in
19 general I think it is better to understand the problem before you
20 start trying to fix it.
21
22 Adding --backtrack=120 or something probably is also a good move, in
23 case it is a dependency issue that portage can figure out on its own.
24 In general increasing --backtrack does not cause any problems, it just
25 makes portage work more slowly.
26
27 My guess is that you have some package installed that now wants to
28 start pulling in systemd, but -t should identify what is going on and
29 we can dispense with the hand-waving.
32 Rich