From: Jonathan Chocron <jonathan.chocron@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question on my USE choiche
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 08:48:29
1 Le Vendredi 19 Mai 2006 09:56, Leonardo a écrit :
2 > Hi all,
3 > my first post to Gentoo lists!
4 > I already installed Gentoo some time ago, and want to restart
5 > now from zero, to see how much I've learnt in the meantime.
6 > My biggest doubt has always been which USE flags to use.
7 > I do a lot of home work with multimedia stuff (audio, video...)
8 > and need also a lot of scientific and programming stuff.
9 > Tiny spare time is used to study networking and such.
10 > So I put together a list of flags, that at first sight looks
11 > huge; here it is:
12 >
13 > USE=" cups eds emboss foomaticdb gdbm gnome gpm gstreamer
14 > imlib libg++ libwww mad mpeg -nptl pdflib spell
15 > truetype-fonts type1-fonts X xml aac aalibaccessibility acpi
16 > alsa arts avi bitmap-fonts bidi bluetooth bonobo bzip2
17 > cdparanoia cdr crypt cups dbus dga dio directfb dv dvb dvd dvdr
18 > dvdread emacs emboss encode esd examples ffmpeg fftw flash
19 > fortran ftp gb gcj gif ginac gphoto2 gps gstreamer gtk gtk2
20 > guile hal hardened icq idn iee1394 imagemagick imap inifile
21 > jabber jack java javascript joistick jpeg jpeg2k kde
22 > kdeenablefinal kdexdeltas libcaca lirc lm_sensors matroska
23 > mikmod mime ming mng mmx motif mozilla mp3 msn mysql mysqli nas
24 > ncurses offensive ogg openal opengl osc oss pcmcia pdf perl php
25 > png prelude python qt quicktime readline ruby samba scanner sdl
26 > slang sockets socks5 sox speex spell sse sse2 ssl svg tcltk tiff
27 > usb truetype unicode v4l vcd vorbis wifi win32codecs wmf
28 > wxwindows xine xinerama xml xml2 xmms xosd xpm xprint xv xvid
29 > yahoo zlib"
32 > First question: is it a good starting point or is it
33 > excessive/unneccessary?
34
35 That's a little excessive. For example, you have cups twice.
36
37 The thing is, useflags are now cascading, and you don't seem to use that
38 feature very much. For example, truetype-fonts, type1-fonts are included in
39 your make.default. Hence, they are already present opn your system, there is
40 no need to specify them twice.
41
42 Moreover, some of the usflags you specify are definitely local useflags. For
43 example, libg++ affects only postgresql. It should not be in your make.conf,
44 since it makes it very hard to read. (Moreover, libg++ is enabled by default
45 in the make.defaults).
46
47 You have a typo : aalibaccessibility .
48
49 You might want to avoid putting arts in your useflags, since arts is
50 definitely the worst thing that can happen to your sound system (No flamewar
51 intended, even the kde devs have decided to take it out of KDE4). However,
52 you'll need kdelibs to be compiled against it if you want to hear sounds in
53 kde (and I mean sounds generated by kde, not sounds from amarok...)
54
55 So, to sum up, what I would do is :
56 1) Put USE="" and do an emerge --info to see which useflags are enabled by
57 default.
58 2) Ask myself the question : Do I really want *any* application running on my
59 computer to have feature "foo". If the answer is no, the useflag should be
60 in /et/portage/package.use
61 3) Organise the useflags in make.conf by theme : For example
62
63 ## System
64 USE="alsa mmx sse sse2"
65 ## Desktop environment :
66 USE="${USE} gnome kde kdeenablefinal"
67 ...
68
69 I find this more readable than a long USE="..." list.
70
71 > If I avoid putting things in does it mean that if I add them in
72 > a second moment probably some of the installed stuff needs to be
73 > recompiled?
74
75 If you add a useflag, there should not be any problem. However, the app will
76 make use of the new feature only if it has been recompiled.
77
78 If you remove a useflag, from a library for example, the apps linked to that
79 library can break. You'll need to recompile the apps.
80
81 Anyway, if you change your useflag one way or the other, you should :
82 1) emerge --newuse --ask --verbose world
83 2) revdep-rebuild
84
85 > Thanks, Leo
86
87 Beware of automatic useflags :
88 - Portage < 2.1 (stable)
89 Beware that those versions of portage have automatic useflags enabled. For
90 example, if you emerge mysql, the mysql uselfag will be turned on globally.
91 If you unmerge it, the useflag will be turned off (except if it is mentionned
92 in any of the config files).
93
94 - Portage > 2.1 (unstable, but really, works very well) does not have that
95 kind of behaviour.
96
97 I hope this was clear enough,
98
99 -- Jonathan
100
101 P.S : You seem to have forgotten "nsplugins" ;)
103 > Do You Yahoo!?
104 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
105 > http://mail.yahoo.com
109 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list