From: Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome default file associations broken
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:33:39
1 Am Sonntag 13 September 2009 20:02:09 schrieb Daniel Troeder:
2 > On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 12:00 +0200, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
3 > > Hello List,
4 > >
5 > > somehow all default file associations are broken in my gnome
6 > > installation and seem to point at the KDE applications instead.
7 > >
8 > > When right-clicking in nautilus on a pdf file, the default action is
9 > > kghostview instead of evince (in kde the default is acroread) and the
10 > > default action for inode/directory even is cervisia which makes gnome
11 > > desktop unusable like that. When logging in in KDE the right kde
12 > > applications are offered as default but in Gnome they used to be
13 > > different.
14 > >
15 > > Where are gnome defaults handled?
16 > > "xdg-mime query default inode/directory" shows correct app in kde but is
17 > > empty in gnome.
18 > > Calling "update-mime-database /usr/share/mime" and
19 > > "update-desktop-database" do not change anything. Does anyone have a
20 > > hint where to look? What role does gnome-vfs play?
23 > > Yes, I can change the settings in my user, but since it's a multiuser
24 > > system, it is important to change the defaults.
25 >
26 > Does this happen to all of your users? I mean: does this also happen if
27 > you create a new user, and log as it into GNOME?
28 Yes, it happens with an empty user as well.
29
30 > In case it's only a 1-user-problem: take a look at
31 > ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
32 > This is where users file associations should be set.
33 The file does not exist for my user. When I mount the home on a Debian system,
34 the defaults from that machine work fine, so it's not the user.
35
36 Where are the global defaults anyway, if you want to change the order, maybe?
37 Where could you globally prefer acroread over evince and gedit over xemacs?
38
39 - Sascha