From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --buildpkg and doing a dry run on a upgrade
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:53:22
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> I'm wanting to install the latest KDE 4.5 which is in the kde overlay.
6 >> I got everything unmasked, keyworded and ready to go. Since this is a
7 >> large upgrade and will take some time to compile, I would like to just
8 >> build the binaries then come back and install them when the compiling
9 >> is all done. The emerge man page says this:
10 >>
11 >> --buildpkgonly (-B)
12 >> Creates binary packages for all ebuilds processed without actually
13 >> merging the packages. This comes with the caveat that all
14 >> build-time dependencies must already be emerged on the system.
15 >>
16 >> The part that I have a question on is the dependencies. Will portage
17 >> be able to build all the packages when the previous packages are not
18 >> installed yet? My thinking says this won't work but looking for a
19 >> second opinion from a more "seasoned" guru.
20 >>
21 > I'm no guru, but I'm very sure it won't work.
22 >
23 > You could do this on a second machine, or in a chroot, or in a virtual
24 > machine, and then distribute the binary packages. Which would be quite
25 > some additional work.
26 >
27 > I'm running KDe 4.5, and it works fine. That is, there are fewer new bugs
28 > for me than were fixed.
29 >
30 > Wonko
34 Well, I bit the bullet and hit Y. This is what portage told me:
35
36 Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
37
38 !!! --buildpkgonly requires all dependencies to be merged.
39 !!! Cannot merge requested packages. Merge deps and try again.
40
41 root@smoker / #
42
43 You're right. It ain't going to work. Now we know.
44
45 Thinking about copying my install to a second drive and installing it
46 there. I can do it in a chroot and have a fall back install in case it
47 borks, pukes or has some other kind of failure. I might add, it puked
48 yesterday. I had no GUI for a while. It even killed kdm. I had to
49 unmerge some packages to get rid of blocks then revert back to the old
50 stable KDE to get a GUI.
51
52 Yea, the keyboard was working and this was not hal related. lol I just
53 wanted to get that out of the way before things got out of hand. ;-)
54
55 Dale
56