From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: mount: "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". What does this mean?
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:52:37
1 On Saturday 19 July 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > >> The default in new kernels is to only use /dev/sd*.
4 > >
5 > > I'm totally confused. Doesn't "sd*" mean "SCSI disk drive"? When I was
6 > > installing Gentoo from the CD, I had to mount my main hard drive as
7 > > /dev/sdb5. When I built my own kernel, it needed /dev/hdh5.
8 > >
9 > > This seems crazy. Is it documented anywhere in Gentoo?
10 >
11 > Not sure. But if you have /dev/hd* instead of /dev/sd*, it means you
12 > configured your kernel with the legacy IDE drivers instead of the new
13 > (P)ATA drivers. The new drivers use /dev/sd* (for IDE/PATA/SATA and
14 > SCSI alike; there's no difference anymore.)
15 >
16 > The CD/DVD-ROM can show up as /dev/sd* even with the old legacy drivers
17 > if you have enable "SCSI Emulation" for it.
18 >
19 > In any event, try to build a new kernel using the new drivers. The old
20 > legacy driver you're using will probably get declared "deprecated" at
21 > some point (if it didn't happen already).
22 >
23 > To enable the new drivers, first disable the legacy drivers. ("Device
24 > Drivers" section):
25 >
26 > < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --->
27 >
28 > Now enable the new drivers:
29 >
30 > <*> Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers --->
31 >
32 > Enter that section and pick your chipset. Don't enable the:
33 >
34 > < > Generic ATA support
35 >
36 > unless you can't find a native driver for your chipset (I doubt you have
37 > some extremely rare/exotic mainboard ;)
38
39 What would be the recommended way of upgrading from the /dev/hd to /dev/sd
40 then? I have held back doing this because I didn't have the time to mess
41 about with it. If I were to configure a new kernel without legacy ATA
42 drivers, how would I know what my devices will be seen as in advance, so that
43 I can change my /etc/fstab before I reboot?
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick