From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] md-device too small: where's my mistake?
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:50:51
1 Heiko Wundram schrieb:
2
3 > You cannot manage disks >= ~2TB with fdisk (i.e., DOS partition tables), as
4 > they (or rather the on-disk-structure of DOS partition tables) have an
5 > inherent limitation in the maximum number of LBA48-blocks they can address.
6 >
7 > I'd presume that because of this inherent limitation, fdisk is reporting the
8 > wrong total size (2TB+774G+epsilon ~ 3TB; sounds like somewhere someone is
9 > doing a modulo operation, possibly), and completely "off" values for
10 > heads/sectors.
11 >
12 > Anyway, md-devices cannot be partitioned anyway (of course you can write a
13 > partition table on them, but the kernel won't use that to create md2-1,-2,
14 > etc.), so using fdisk is wrong.
15 >
16 > If you want to check the "real" size of the device, don't use fdisk, but
17 > rather use
18 >
19 > blockdev --getsize64 /dev/md2
20 >
21 > which shows you the byte-count of the corresponding volume, and which I think
22 > will be 3TB, as you want it to be.
23
24 Nope, it did show the same 774 GB.
25
26 > If you want to subpartition large devices, use lvm(2), which does not have the
27 > 2TB limitation on size.
28 >
29 > Hope this helps!
30
31 Thanks for your explanations and suggestions ... but ...
32
33 I just now received a reply to my posting on the german list, the
34 mistake was that CONFIG_LBD was not set in my kernel.
35
36 Now I get:
37
38 # blockdev --getsize64 /dev/md2
39 2973068230656
40
41 # fdisk -l
42 Platte /dev/md2: 2973.0 GByte, 2973068230656 Byte
43
44 Thanks anyway!
45 Stefan