From: Tomas Krasnican <krasko@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysql use flag witout server, using only client libaries
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:20:19
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 29 July 2010 16:54:45 Tomas Krasnican wrote:
3 >> Hi list,
4 >>
5 >> I'm sorry for my bad english..
6 >>
7 >> I would like to emerge some packages using mysql use flag (and mysql flag
8 >> features, for example. php, dovecot, postfix, ...), but without mysql
9 >> database server (applications will connecting to the mysql database on the
10 >> another (remote) server). Problem is, when I set the mysql use flag at
11 >> some package, and I try to emerge that, mysql database is in the
12 >> dependencies list.
13 >>
14 >> I want to emerge that without mysql database server, using mysql client
15 >> libraries only. How can I define that?
16 >>
17 >> Thanks,
18 >> Regards,
19 >> Tomas Krasnican
22 > Short answer: you can't.
23 >
24 > Long answer: you might but the devs are not going to help you
25 >
26 > Huge answer: a mysql client has support for connecting to a server on
27 > localhost. Apps like dovecot etc therefore assume the same. So the ebuilds
28 > install mysql if you ask for mysql support and you get everything.
29 >
30 > There is no exact meaning for the mysql USE flag, it is interpreted (mostly)
31 > in whatever way the dev thinks it makes sense. Maybe this should not be like
32 > this. Doesn't matter - right now that's how it is. So you could inspect each
33 > ebuild you use for stuff that has mysql support and rip it apaprt to make it
34 > do what you want. Repeat for every version bump.
38 > Or, you could just do the sane thing:
39 >
40 > # equery size mysql
41 > * dev-db/mysql-5.1.46
42 > Total files : 403
43 > Total size : 45.03 MiB
44 >
45 > It's 45M, not a train smash. Most of that is docs, support configs, other
46 > weird shit that Sun thought was a good idea, client libs, common libs. And the
47 > server binary.
50 > You are running php, dovecot and postfix on the box. Therefore apache too.
51 >
52 > Trust me, the extra 2M the mysql server takes up is not disk space you are
53 > short off. Not worth the effort.
56 Thanks for your reply.
57
58 When I'll install the mysql database server on the box, the lot of "gentoo-like" things will require it localy.
59
60 For example, when I emerge php with mysql support, the apache rc script will contains something like "use mysql ....", or "need mysql" in that depend part. When I emerge something else with mysql support too, it will containts this thing too. And when I try to restart some of that, or when I wanna to restart the box, the mysql server will be started and it will take more time, as is realy needed. I wouldn't like that...
61
62 I can edit this scripts and remove the mysql dependency manually...but Why I must do it using this way? I wouldn't like to edit lot of rc scripts after every update. I am too lazy (and many admins too, I think) for doing this...
63
64 For "daily" modifying are designed the configuration files, but not rc (and not only rc) scripts. I think that developers are able to edit this scripts, when is it needed, but not end-user.
65
66 And I haven't see any reason to run mysql server localy, when all of applications are using external box as the database server. So, I looking for the another solution of this "problem".
67
68 Any ideas about this "problem"?
69
70 Thanks