From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:08:17
1 On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 30/08/2015 06:04, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
4 >> How long between power off/on's ?
7 > Mine depends. I typically do a deliberate reboot only when wanting a new
8 > kernel running. Sometimes it's a few days, often up to a month or more.
11 ++
12
13 Typically I reboot every week or two. I try to keep up with stable
14 kernel releases on the latest longterm branch (currently 3.18.20).
15 I'm currently at 19 days, which is a bit on the high side for me, but
16 it seems like 3.18 hasn't had as many updates as some of the other
17 stable series.
18
19 If you keep a closer eye on security issues and care to track which
20 kernel fixes you do or don't accept, or want to mess with kernel live
21 patching, then you could go longer. I also like to reboot at some
22 frequency just so that if for whatever reason it doesn't reboot I only
23 have a few week's worth of system updates to look at to figure out
24 what changed. I have Gentoo hosts that I don't stay on top of as
25 often and when 5 things break at once I'm playing guessing games
26 (those hosts are all easy to snapshot).
29 Rich