From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: modem configuration
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 22:22:31
1 On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 12:24:37 Philipp Kraus wrote:
2 > On 2012-09-14 02:32:37 +0200, Walter Dnes said:
3 > > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 08:08:10PM +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote
4 > >
5 > >> Hello,
6 > >>
7 > >> I have got a modem US Robotics 5637 and I would like to use it with
8 > >> Hylafax+. Hylafax works fine, all clients can create jobs, but now
9 > >> I would like to configure / test the modem. Can anybody explain me
10 > >> how I can test / configure my modem. I have installed minicom and
11 > >> the modem is setup under /dev/modem with this udev rules
12 > >>
13 > > I have the same type of USB dialup modem running under Gentoo. I use
14 > >
15 > > it for emergency backup, if my ADSL connection goes down. First
16 > > question... is your kernel properly configured? You need to select the
17 > > USB Modem (CDC ACM) support kernel option. In "make menuconfig" the
18 > > path is...
19 > > Device Drivers --->
20 > >
21 > > [*] USB support --->
22 > >
23 > > <*> USB Modem (CDC ACM) support
24 >
25 > Thanks, I have forgot the CDC ACM module within the kernel. Rebuild my
26 > kernel, everything works fine except
27 > minicom, it shows always that my modem is offline, but if I send AT
28 > command the modem response
29
30 Hi Phil,
31
32 I'm going from memory, so I may not have this 100% correct and I have no modem
33 to hand to try it any more, plus what I'm going to say used to be the case
34 with a serial connection to a modem. I never had a USB modem to know if it
35 would be the same.
36
37 If you have a DCD line between the modem and the PC, you should get the status
38 of the DCD signal in lower case "online/offline".
39
40 If the cable between the modem and the PC has no control wire, then minicom
41 would use an internal simulation of the DCD status and show the status in
42 capital letters "ONLINE/OFFLINE". In that case you will only get "ONLINE" if
43 minicom can detect that you have enabled the modem, perhaps because data are
44 flowing back & forth.
45
46 You may want to tweak your flow-control options and see if the on/offline
47 signal works when a fax is being sent/received.
48
49 HTH.
50 --
51 Regards,