From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:56:39
1 Sébastien MORAND wrote:
2 > Hi everybody,
3 >
4 > I'm trying to clean my install (one year old, so it's time to do it). I run an
5 > update, and run :
6 > emerge --newuse -Dvu world
7 >
8 > It installs a lot of update and so on and do everything ok.
9 >
10 > Afterwards, I run :
11 > revdep-rebuild
12 >
13 > It makes a lot of rebuild about some broken link, I also uninstall so useless
14 > software and/or lib.
15 >
16 > Now, I'm quite sure everything is correctly linked, since runing emerge --newuse
17 > -Dvu world or revdep-rebuild answers : << nothing has to be done >>.
18 >
19 > Now I try the dangerous following command as describe in the documentation :
20 > emerge --depclean -p (just to see what should be done)
21 >
22 > And then I'm quite surprise, 41 packages should be removed, and among them, a
23 > lot of usefull lib or tool (perl-ldap, xinetd, and so on ...)
24 >
25 > Is this result normal ? What did I miss ?
28 Hi Sébastien,
29
30 It's normal for some packages to become unecessary as you update packages, unmerge packages, and change use flags. Generally, it's best to do a depclean *before* packages are built (via direct emerge or revdep-rebuild). Also, do a revdep-rebuild after a depclean.
31
32 Zac
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list