From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 20:12:36
1 On 09/05/2009 12:56 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As some may know already, I recently got DSL. It's not a super fast
5 > connection by broadband standards but it does mean that my box may be
6 > easier to find for a hacker. So, I have a few questions about
7 > security. I think I am OK but want to make sure.
8 >
9 > 1: I have a good root password. It's not something someone would guess
10 > for sure. Nothing related to my history, birthdays or anything. It is
11 > still fairly easy for me to type tho.
12
13 That's always a good idea. But if you have SSH disabled, then it
14 doesn't really matter. And with SSH enabled, root login is disabled by
15 default, so...
18 > 2: I went to this link: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
19 > According to that site my ports are in "stealth" mode which is good from
20 > what I understand.
21
22 "Stealth" ports give problems with p2p and file transfers (MSN and the
23 like). A stealthed port means you can't be reached. Even if you want
24 to be reached. If you encounter problems, for example no one can send
25 you a file from IRC/MSN/etc you know what to blame.
26
27 Also, even with "stealthed" ports, it's still possible to find you.
28 When someone pings your machine, and you never reply, and nothing else
29 replies, it means you're there :) That because if you're really not
30 there, your ISP will reply to the pinger with "that IP is not there."
31 If that doesn't happen, the pinger knows you're there and hiding behind
32 your finger :)
33
34 But some ISPs don't send that "no there" reply to the pinger, so in
35 those cases, "stealth" ports might make sense.
38 > 3: I have no servers running here. No Apache, MySql, or any of that.
39 > I also have turned off/stopped ssh since I have only one box at the
40 > moment.
41
42 Then "stealth" ports are a bit useless since nothing is listening on
43 those ports anyway.
46 > The DSL modem I am using is the Motorola 2210. It seems to be a gateway
47 > thing. I have no router at the moment but if I build a new rig I will
48 > be getting one then. Most likely a Linksys or something. I'll post
49 > here before getting one anyway. ;-)
50
51 I think the Motorola *is* a router. That means you can just buy a cheap
52 ethernet switch, connect it to the 2210 and then connect the machines to
53 the switch and the 2210 will route everything just fine.