From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 17:47:44
1 On 08/02/18 19:11, gevisz wrote:
2 > I never used tmpfs for portage TMPDIR before and now decided to give it a try.
3 >
4 > I have 8GB of RAM and 12GB of swap on a separate partition.
5 >
6 > Do I correctly understood https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
7 > that I can safely set in the fstab the size of my tmpfs to 12GB so
8 > that the chromium
9 > could be emerged in tmpfs (using the swap) without the need to set notmpfs.conf
10 > for chromium and the likes.
11 >
12 > And I am going to set the whole /var/tmp/ on tpmfs instead of just
13 > /var/tmp/portage
14 > Is it ok?
15
16 If you're not using ccache, then you don't need /var/tmp to be on tmpfs.
17 You should only put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
18
19 If you do use ccache, then you need to mount both /var/tmp and
20 /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs. Although if you end up swapping, it's
21 probably going to be slower than not using tmpfs. So unless you have
22 something like 32GB of RAM, it might be best to use notmpfs.conf for
23 Chromium anyway.
24
25 (Although I didn't benchmark swap vs notmpfs.conf. Swap being slower
26 than notmpfs.conf is just an educated guess.)