From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up SMTP relay
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 07:07:21
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 03:22 on Monday 24 January 2011, kashani did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > > There's lots more examples, but they all follow a similar theme.
5 >
6 > Thanks for the extra detail, I found what you're describing very
7 > interesting. I've never dealt with Postfix with more than a couple
8 > hundred internal users and more often as spam our customers system.
9 > Other than the occasional Nagios blasts I haven't had to deal with much
10 > of this.
11 > In regards to controlling what users send is it feasible to use a
12 > policy server for rate limiting them? The ability to use an extra lookup
13 > service to decide whether to access main, filter it, allow relay, etc is
14 > one of the things I think Postfix does well. However I suspect the
15 > management and hand holding of a rate limit system would create more
16 > overhead than cleaning out the queue periodically.
17
18 Your last sentence is the right one.
19
20 Dealing with issues arising only when they arise is infinitely easier than
21 trying to maintain some arb list of $STUFF just in case a minority of users
22 misconfigure their boxes.
23
24 On the whole, our users send only valid mail and all of it must be allowed to
25 pass.
26
27 The problems come in when a automated system mail goes beserk, usually causing
28 loops. Not spam though, there's a rather large Cisco Ironport in front of my
29 MTAs which deals with that.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com