From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unable to compile kdelibs in arm chroot
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 20:45:31
1 On Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:11:02 PM Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
2 > Hi List,
3 >
4 > For the last few weeks i was playing around with my newly acquired
5 > raspberry pi 2. While it was pretty easy to setup a working gentoo
6 > stage3 system i failed installing anything below the basic packages.
7 > Generally my idea was building the arm packages on any system and
8 > provide them as binary packages for other raspberry pi's (yeah, i
9 > already bought my second rpi :D)
10 >
11 > At first, my idea was to build all the packages directly on the rpi. (with
12 > /var/tmp & /usr/portage on a external harddisk). However, the compile
13 > times are worse than i expected so i abandoned the idea.
14 >
15 > Next i've played around with crossdev. It sort of worked, but i never
16 > could finish compiling xorg-server. (or basic system packages) Even
17 > though i've started over and over with different settings, there were
18 > always packages which failed to compile thus doesn't let me finish
19 > xorg-server. I might look into it some other day but now i just wanted
20 > something working.
21 >
22 > Now i'm playing with using qemu-arm [1][2] in order to compile the
23 > packages inside a chroot. This is - so far - the most promising method
24 > building packages, even though the compile times are worse than with
25 > crossdev, but still better than directly on the rpi.
26 >
27 > So far i finally could compile xorg-server and also updated the whole
28 > system, which, at this point, wasn't much anyway. My next goal was kde.
29 > I've compiled about half of all packages which are required for
30 > kdebase-meta, but now i'm stuck at kdelibs and i have no idea what's
31 > wrong.
32 >
33 > The problem:
34 >
35 > The problem is, the compile doesn't fail - it just hangs/stops. At some
36 > point (which seems to be random - it can stop anywhere between 1% and
37 > 100% of the compile) the compile stops and does nothing. I've waited
38 > hours, but nothing happened.
39 > So far i tried lots of things, for example:
40 > * MAKEOPTS="-j1" and/or FEATURES="-sandbox"
41 > * also tried without building binary packages (-buildpkg)
42 > * /var/tmp on tmpfs
43 > * using: ebuild /usr/portage/kde-base/..../kdelibs....ebuild compile
44 > * using python3.3 instead of default 2.7
45 > * moved it on a different system and tried building it there (again with
46 > many different settings)
47 >
48 > Nothing worked, even though the build moved until 100% two times (-_-)
49 >
50 > I have no idea what the problem is. Even qtwebkit, which took way longer
51 > to compile (about 3 hours) compiled on the first try. (which should
52 > exclude temperate and/or resource problems)
53 > I also don't think it's a problem with a use flag as the build stops
54 > anywhere - i couldn't find a pattern. It seems to be completely random.
55 >
56 > Any ideas whats wrong or how to fix this? Any help would be much
57 > appreciated as i'm out of ideas :(
58 >
59 > Thx
60 >
61 > [1] https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=5
62 > [2] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Crossdev_qemu-static-user-chroot
63
64 One possibility is swap trashing (running so low in RAM that every instruction
65 takes several swaps to execute), especially with /var/tmp on tmpfs! This can
66 happen even if you don't have a swap partition. Try with either more RAM or
67 /var/tmp on a physical filesystem.
71 Fernando Rodriguez