From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cell phone as modem
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:12:57
1 > > What I'm trying to determine is, if AT&T or T-Mobile have the
2 > > type of service you're describing:
3 > >
4 > > 1. will it work in both "analog" and "digital" service areas
5 > > 2. does the phone need to support anything in particular to use it
6 >
7 > AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM (digital) only. They don't have
8 > any AMPS service. AFAIK, only the older CDMA carriers
9 > (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, etc.) have AMPS service -- and not
10 > all of their phones will fall back to AMPS even if there is
11 > AMPS service available). Most/all of the AMPS service is going
12 > away soon anyway.
13 >
14 > I think that pretty much all GSM phones support data calls (I
15 > could be wrong). Whether or not the network will allow them
16 > without paying extra for a data plan is the question.
17
18 Got it. Is this official data plan service something that will work
19 anywhere a GSM signal is had, or does there need to be a special type
20 of service in the area?
21
22 > > I don't think I'll have any luck finding a cell phone with an
23 > > analog modem jack. Were you using an analog modem plugged
24 > > into your cell phone with the service you were first
25 > > describing?
26 >
27 > No. The "free" low-speed service offered by Verizon (and
28 > apparently by Sprint) is all-digital. You just need a phone
29 > and a data-cable. NB: it's possible that not all phones are
30 > data-call capable or that the carrier has disabled that feature
31 > in some phones. The tough part is that at least Verizon's
32 > support for minutes-only data-calls is strictly unofficial. If
33 > you stop at a store, they will claim (probably truthfully) to
34 > know nothing about it. If you call Verizon support, the 1st
35 > line support staff will also know nothing about it. If you can
36 > work your way up a few layers, you can probably find somebody
37 > who does know about it, but even they might not be allowed to
38 > talk to you about it.
39 >
40 > > I've got to go with GSM. If both Sprint and Verizon offer it,
41 > > there is probably a good chance that AT&T and/or T-Mobile do
42 > > too.
43 >
44 > Could be. If you find out, let us know. :)
45 >
46 > What I do is use Verizon CDMA (far better coverage than any of
47 > the GSM networks) in the US and I have a GSM phone that I use
48 > internationally. You can get good used unlocked tri and
49 > quad-band GSM phones for $20 and up. You can get brand new
50 > ones for $30 and up. I got nearly new used Noka candy-bar
51 > phone that's US-only for $18 off craig's list and a brand-new
52 > quad-band Motorola V190 off ebay for $40. Just for giggles I
53 > have a AT&T pre-paid SIM for my GSM phones so I can use them as
54 > backups in the US.
55
56 That's an interesting idea. It would be nice to have an AT&T plan
57 that works all over the world, but I wonder if there is a big enough
58 difference between CDMA and GSM reception in the US to justify two
59 phones and buying SIM cards.
60
61 - Grant
62 --