From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting idea
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 01:19:17
1 > > >Greylisting seems to be the most effective way of eliminating unwanted
2 > > >email. The problem is that it also has the potential to eliminate a
3 > > >legitimate email. Couldn't a feature be added to greylisting software
4 > > >that dispatches an email to the sender of any email that is
5 > > >temporarily rejected and doesn't retry within a certain amount of
6 > > >time? The email could say something like, "Your message of {date} was
7 > > >rejected as possible spam. Please call us at {phone_number}."
8 > >
9 > > att.biz accounts do something like this. It isn't a phone call, but
10 > > "go to $website and enter $code to unblock your mail to $recepient."
11 >
12 > TMDA (in portage) could be set up to do something like this, I
13 > believe.
14
15 I'm going to go ahead and try greylisting. It sounds like regular
16 postfix checks can reject legitimate email just like greylisting can
17 end up doing, but postfix checks are cutting spam in half and it
18 sounds like greylisting will do a lot better.
19
20 I'm going to replace the following postix config:
21
22 smtpd_delay_reject = yes
23 smtpd_helo_required = yes
24 smtpd_helo_restrictions =
25 permit_mynetworks,
26 reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
27 reject_invalid_hostname,
28 permit
29 smtpd_sender_restrictions =
30 permit_mynetworks,
31 reject_non_fqdn_sender,
32 reject_unknown_sender_domain,
33 permit
34 smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
35 permit_mynetworks,
36 reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
37 reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
38 reject_unauth_destination,
39 permit
40 smtpd_data_restrictions =
41 reject_unauth_pipelining,
42 permit
43
44 with this:
45
46 smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
47 permit_mynetworks,
48 check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:10030
49 reject_unauth_destination,
50 permit
51
52 How does that look?