From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:14:13
1 On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:42, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > My personal problem was not finding it but moving it to my machine and
3 > creating the overlay. I'm not sure of directory structure. I don't
4 > know all the files that have to be there and where. I don't know about
5 > running digests, etc., and being a user I'm not all that interested in
6 > that stuff.
7
8 The structure isn't any different from the tree. In fact most of what's
9 required in the tree doesn't need to be in an overlay.
10
11 If you have PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage", then the ebuild goes
12 into /usr/local/portage/$CATEGORY/$NAME/$NAME-$PVR.ebuild. It's that simple.
13
14 [SNIP]
15 > It's not that Gentoo is so hard. It's that
16 > none of them know anything about 'vi' so how could they even edit a
17 > config file and give the system an IP address or point it at a name
18 > server?
19
20 Well, they could just follow the handbook and hence use nano... *hint* *hint*
21
22 > (Maybe the graphical installer but I'd not let them try for
23 > fear they'd wreck existing Windows installs trying to load it.)
24
25 That's a serious risk. Not when loading the disk but when trying to use it to
26 install Gentoo.
29 Bo Andresen