From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:31:02
1 On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Alejandro wrote:
2 > 2009/1/20 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
3 >
4 > > On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > > > I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
6 > > > machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
7 > > > Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
8 > > > FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
9 > > > got a decent hard drive (160GB).
10 > > >
11 > > > I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
12 > > > getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
13 > > > used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
14 > > > nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
15 > > > like TuxRacer.
16 > > >
17 > > > I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
18 > > > OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
19 > > > package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
20 > > > would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
21 > >
22 > > if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
23 > > xfce+openoffice.
24 > >
25 > > And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the
26 > > time and
27 > > you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster.
28 > > It does not need less ram nor does it run faster.
29 >
30 > "installing ooo from source is unsupport" How is this? Maybe you
31 > missundertand i think he run emerge openoffice and not openoffice-bin
32
33 http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123104511608102&w=2