From: "Anno v. Heimburg" <anno@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Clock/Daylight Savings
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:14:28
1 Randy Barlow wrote:
2
3 > "Spring Forward". I use ntp and the like, and it seems happy being
4 > behind by an hour. I can use the date command to set it correctly, but
5 > after the next reboot it's back to its old games. Pointers?
6
7 Check that you have your timezones set correctly. Unix systems track time in
8 UTC or Greenwich Mean Time*, that internal date is then converted to local
9 time using the timezone you set. During that conversion process DST
10 adjustment happens, too. All that ntp does is make sure that your system
11 time in UTC is correct. If your conversion to local time is incorrect, ntp
12 can do nothing about it. Similarly, the hardware clock is also set to UTC.
13
14 Your problem, especially considering you run ntp, seems to be a
15 UTC-to-local-time conversion issue rather than an incorrectly adjusted UTC
16 clock.
17
18 HTH,
19 Anno.
23 *) Actually in number-of-seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00 UTC.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list