From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:07:25
1 Hi group,
2
3 Previously I had a problem with hard drive that turned
4 out was a faulty IDE controller, not the drive, not
5 the cable.
6
7 Now I can't use /dev/hdb but /dev/hdc is OK. So my set
8 up is /dev/hda(WinXP) and /dev/hdc(gentoo), ie, WinXP
9 is on the first IDE as master and gentoo is on the sec
10 IDE also as master. hdd is the CDROM(sec IDE,slave),
11 to complete the setup.
12
13 So far I've tried every possible permutation of root,
14 rootnoverify and map. I've tried installing the boot
15 loader on /dev/hda and /dev/hdc. On hda nothing
16 works(error 21). On hdc the boot menu appears and I
17 can boot gentoo but not WinXP
18
19 Error messages: "selected disk does not exist", "not
20 found or not a block device", "could not find device
21 for boot". Sorry, I can't recall the exact context for
22 these messages but this will give a flavor hopefully.
23
24 I've tried changing the boot order in the BIOS.
25
26 I can get gentoo to boot if I tell grub it's on
27 (hd0,0)(?!?!) but WinXP won't boot unless I remove the
28 HD w/gentoo on it and bypass grub altogether.
29
30 fdisk can see both drives OK. Both drives appear in
31 dmesg w/o errors. Both drives appear in the POST
32 screen -- first drive as '0', second drive as '1'
33
34 I've scoured the web for an answer and now must turn
35 to the authorities on this list as a last resort.
36
37 Maxim
38
40 Do You Yahoo!?
41 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
42 http://mail.yahoo.com
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list