From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Adding Gentoo to Win-XP/NTSF machine
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:20:53
1 Hi,
2 A friend asked about trying out Linux. After doing a bit of reading
3 and looking at the Gentoo site he wanted to try Gentoo so I said I'd
4 help install it o his Windows box. The situation that I've not faced
5 in a long time, if ever, is that he has an existing Windows
6 installation on the first half of the drive. The partition is standard
7 Win-XP NTSF. I do not know how to load grub on this machine.
8
9 1) Do I load grub on /dev/hda1 - the NTSF partition? This seems wrong
10 to me as grub most likely doesn't like NTSF.
11
12 2) Do I put grub on the Gentoo boot partition and then do the standard
13 chain load to Win XP? If this is the case then which partitions should
14 be marked as bootable?
15
16 3) Put grub in the MBR and point it at the Gentoo boot partition to
17 find grub.conf? This seems possible. If I do this and it gets messed
18 up, what do I need from Windows to put M$'s boot loader back in the
19 MBR and let it boot normally?
20
21 4) Something else?
22
23 I looked around for a Gentoo Wiki but they seem to all be written
24 as if Windows is on a second drive. I couldn't find this case.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Mark
28 --