From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSDs, ext4, fstrim, discard ...
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 21:14:02
1 Am 12.10.2011 00:26, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
2
3 >> What is the benefit of running fstrim manually over mounting with
4 >> discard?
5 >
6 > discard seems to slow down the fs by trimming all the time.
7 > I only report what I read. No tests done so far.
8
9 Shouldn't "discard" be set to make TRIM work anyway, even with fstrim?
10
11 man mount says for "discard":
12
13 "Controls whether ext4 should issue discard/TRIM commands to the
14 underlying block device when blocks are freed."
15
16 Sounds like TRIM-commands wouldn't get through to the SSD when "discard"
17 is not set.
18
19 Still wondering.
20