From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo 2007.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 02:30:29
1 On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
6 > *Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>* wrote:
7 >
8 > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@×××××.com>
9 > wrote:
10 >
11 >> hi...I have one problem,after boot my Gentoo liveCD,after i chose to boot
12 >> for the kernel and hardware,after the gui appeared and also progress bar
13 >> until it finished boot the system,suddenly my monitor goes to standby
14 >> mode,i'm wondering why is this happen.
15 >>
16 >> Thank you.
17 >>
18 >> Regards,
19 >> Norman Hakim
22 >> * NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA*
25 > Sounds like a problem with it detecting your video card or your monitor.
26 > I'd suggest doing the text-based install instead.
27 >
28 > --
29 > - Mark Shields
30 >
31 > Because after my monitor turn to standby mode, after a few seconds there is
32 > a sound from my graphic card. How do i actually do the text-based install?
33 > from the guideline handbook only show how to install by using gui.
34 >
35 > Thank you
36 >
37 > Norman
40 > * NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA*
43 You'll need the minimal install cd. See:
44 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2#doc_chap2-
45 the handbook covers both the liveCD install and the minimal cd
46 install.
47 Here's a link to the minimal cd for x86:
48 http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-2007.0-minimal/x86/ - or if you don't
49 use x86, see: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
50
51 The text-based install is not automated like most of the gui installer. The
52 text-based install does not give you a bootable, gui-based system; you have
53 to build it yourself. But I assure you, you will learn a lot more by doing
54 so, and you'll have a lean system built to the way you want it. This used
55 to be the only method for any install until the gui installer came along.
58 - Mark Shields