From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: make oldconfig necessary?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:10:54
1 On 2011-08-01, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Let's say I have a .config from an older kernel version (for example,
3 > 2.6.38), and now I want to install a newer kernel (let's say, 3.0).
4 >
5 > Is it necessary to first do `make oldconfig`, or is it safe to go
6 > directly to `make menuconfig`?
7
8 It's always safe to do 'make menuconfig', and always has been (at
9 least since the 0.97 days when I started running Linux). You just
10 have to select all the options correctly.
11
12 All that 'make oldconfig' does is start you out with something as
13 close to your old kernel configuration as possible.
16 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! CHUBBY CHECKER just
17 at had a CHICKEN SANDWICH in
18 gmail.com downtown DULUTH!