From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:02:53
1 On 25/02/21 08:45, hitachi303 wrote:
2 > Am 25.02.2021 um 02:43 schrieb Grant Taylor:
3 >> I need to update a system that hasn't been updated in 337 days (March
4 >> 24th 2020. -- Life has been ... trying.
5 >>
6 >> What is the best way forward?
7 >>
8 >> It seems as if there have been a lot of changes in the interim; glibc,
9 >> Python 2.7 being deprecated, default Python going to 3.7(?), other
10 >> breaking changes....
11 >>
12 >> Is there a way that I can sync portage to something from April, May,
13 >> or even June of 2020, do a full update (including "-DUNe @world")?
14 >> Iterating through multiple rounds to get current?
15 >>
16 >> Any help would be appreciated.
21 > I found it to be helpful to de-install as many programs as possible
22 > before starting the update and the first emerge --sync. This reduces the
23 > amount of conflicts by a considerable amount. Stuff like libreoffice or
24 > thunderbird and so on and all of their dependencies. Everything your
25 > system does not need to run but what you need to be productive when you
26 > use your system. I use -av --depclean for this.
27 >
28 > Also there is something in the gentoo wiki about upgrading old or too
29 > old systems.
30 >
31 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo#Upgrading_from_older_systems
32 >
33 I'd do something a bit like that. The trick is to do the ABSOLUTE
34 MINIMUM each step.
35
36 Can you "emerge portage"? Given the elephant in the room that is all the
37 python changes, if that works you're probably 90% of the way there.
38
39 Do you need to update the system profile? Update it to a very basic
40 profile and "emerge @system". NO --deep, NO --new-use, nothing like that.
41
42 If portage says it can update some things but not others, then tell it
43 to update what it can. Normally I'd "emerge -C" any blockers, but with a
44 minimal system that's probably not wise.
45
46 Once that's done, select your real profile that you want, and again do a
47 basic "emerge @system". Followed by "emerge @world".
48
49 Now do your full-blown "emerge --deep --new-use", depclean, new kernel,
50 all that sort of stuff.
51
52 Cheers,
53 Wol