From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I compress jpeg files?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 09:43:28
1 Hello, tastytea.
2
3 On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 15:58:59 +0200, tastytea wrote:
4 > On 2020-09-18 13:32+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > I've a number of jpeg files, 17 to be precise, which are high
7 > > resolution and are around 3½ megabytes each. I would like to
8 > > compress them down to around 100 kb each.
9
10 > > I'm sure this is possible, if tedious, in gimp, somehow, but I can't
11 > > for the life of me work out how (since it's years since I last did
12 > > this).
13
14 > > What is the best way (minimal learning, scriptable if possible), to do
15 > > this?
16
17 > I'm not aware of a way that allows you to specify a file size, but you
18 > can use convert from media-gfx/imagemagick to re-compress and/or resize
19 > the files. For example:
20
21 > convert -quality 50 in.jpg out.jpg
22 > convert -resize 1000 in.jpg out.jpg
23
24 > The last command makes the image 1000px wide and sets the height
25 > automatically to the right value.
26
27 > Hope this helps,
28
29 Thanks, it helped enormously! Having emerged imagemagick, with
30
31 convert -quality 20 in.jpg out.jpg
32
33 in a for loop, I got the size down to around 200 kb each, without much
34 degradation in the picture quality.
35
36 > tastytea
39 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).