From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual booting with Windows 10
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 14:01:47
1 On Friday, 21 May 2021 20:06:25 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 21 May 2021 15:42:01 BST peter@××××××××××××.uk wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > Mynew machine has Win-10 installedon /dev/nvme0n1 with the ESP as
6 > > partition
7 > > 1. I want to install Gentoo on /dev/nvme1n1. So far I haven't found a way
8 > > to set up a working boot arrangement. I've tried mounting the ESP on /efi,
9 > > on /EFI and on /boot/EFI. Efibootmgr seems to write a boot entry in some
10 > > of
11 > > those cases, and it's still there after a reboot - but it isn't visible to
12 > > the BIOS.
13 > >
14 > > Can anyone offer some enlightenment, please?
15 >
16 > If your ESP is on /dev/nvme0n1 and you are using vmlinuz symlinks, you can
17 > use /boot/EFI as the mountpoint for the ESP VFAT partition. Your
18 > kernels/config/ System.map/initrd.img files will go into /boot, which will
19 > be on the same fs as / on /dev/nvme1, using a fs which supports symlinks.
20 >
21 > The efibootmgr '--loader' option should/could be used to specify the path to
22 > your bootloader image, or if you are not using a bootloader image to
23 > chainload your kernel with, point it directly to the path of your kernel;
24 > e.g.
25 >
26 > efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/nvme0n1 --part 1 --label "gentoo-5.10.27" \
27 > --loader "\EFI\gentoo\gentoo-5.10.27.efi"
28 >
29 > The BIOS/UEFI menu should be able to list entries of bootable *.efi images,
30 > as long as they are within the subdirectory of /boot/EFI on the ESP, but if
31 > you are using a bootloader, then it is the bootloader image which will run
32 > and chainload your OSs and their kernels.
33
34 Thanks Michael. I've finally got it booting, by resorting to the same hack as I
35 did on my previous machine.
36
37 Using efibootmgr to add a UEFI boot record does create it, but selecting it in
38 the BIOS fails and it just drops to the next in line: Windows 10. No
39 adjustments to the --create command resulted in a bootable system, so I had to
40 run bootctl-install as well and then remove the hex-numbered directory and
41 restore my own loader.conf. I spent days wrestling with this.
42
43 It's clear that I just don't understand UEFI booting. It sounds simple enough,
44 but it clearly isn't. I've read everything I could find on the subject, to no
45 avail.
48 Regards,
49 Peter.