From: Arek Murzyn <admin@××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eterm issue
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 07:07:08
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Bob Sanders" <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
3 To: <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 2:52 AM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eterm issue
8 > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:58:11 +0200
9 > "Arek Murzyn" <admin@××××××.pl> wrote:
10 >
11 > > I've done something recently on my gentoo and I don't remember what but
12 till
13 > > that moment I cannot run Eterm or xterm when logged as user. When logged
14 as
15 > > root everything is working. This issue is known on the web but solutions
16 > > does not satisfy me Eterm.
17 > > There are messages:
18 > > "Can't open pseudo-tty --No such file or directory"
19 > > "Unable to run sub-command"
20 > > Then Eterm window raises and there is only "Hit any key to exit"
21 > > I checked:
22 > > - /dev/pty is compiled in kernel
23 > > - /dev/pty directory exists and all files within
24 > > - symbolic links in /dev exists too
25 > > - changed rights to all these files to rwxrwxrwx - nothing helped
26 > > 2.6.12r6, 2005.0
27 > > What can I do more? Changin debugging level in Eterm gives nothing.
30 > Did you use Unix98 PTY or Legacy (BSD) Pty?
31 > Also, are you using udev?
32 > And you have Virtual terminal?
33 >
34 > fwiw - I haven't seen it here with Unix98 ptys, udev, and 2.6.12-r4.
35
36 I use udev and Legacy(BSD) with 2.6.12-r6. How to check if I use virtual
37 terminal?
38 How to switch to Unix98 - I can't find this option in menuconfig.
39 Very strange is that root can open eterm without problems, any user (even
40 with additional group 'root') can't.
41 I see some messages in logs about pam authentication. Could it be related to
42 that?
43
44 Thanks,
45