From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:33:09
1 Hello list,
2
3 I'm going round in circles here. I've been running VirtualBox and BOINC for
4 years with no problems to speak of.
5
6 Over the last year or more I've experienced mysterious failures in many
7 programs, some of them real nuisances, and recently I decided to replace my
8 RAM modules with a single matched set, which seems to have done the trick - so
9 far! It's required complete recompilation of everything, and throwing away
10 quite a lot of data that seemed to have been damaged at some time (hello
11 KMail).
12
13 Now however I can't get VirtualBox running properly. I've tried the latest
14 stable version and two testing versions, but at every login via KDM I get a
15 pop-up notice "VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running."
16 That's without any clients active or trying to be. If I then start virtualbox-
17 guest-additions I get this:
18
19 # /etc/init.d/virtualbox-guest-additions start
21 modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxguest': No such device
22 modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': No such device
23 * ERROR: virtualbox-guest-additions failed to start
24
25 I assume I'm missing something in my kernel config, but I can't see what.
26
27 linux # grep -i virt .config
28 # CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN is not set
29 CONFIG_HAVE_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
30 CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
31 # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
32 # CONFIG_SND_VIRTUOSO is not set
33 CONFIG_VIRT_DRIVERS=y
34 # Virtio drivers
35 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI is not set
36 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_MMIO is not set
37 # CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL is not set
38 CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
39
40 Most of those unset values are for when this kernel is running as a guest of
41 another OS, so I assume I don't need them when running as the host OS. Others
42 I can't set because they're hidden until I set the values to be a guest.
43
44 I can find lots of other people struggling with this and similar problems, but
45 no fix.
46
47 Any ideas here?
50 Rgds