From: "Robert J. King" <peritus@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Intel Mac Mini?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:16:21
1 It is done often. Writing this on an 24" Intel iMac running Gentoo w/ kde.
2 Just a few gotchas that I ran into:
3
4 1. The 2008.0 livecd's version of grub doesn't have the Mac partition patch.
5 Simple update of portage and then grub fixes this.
6 2. Nvidia binary drivers seem to have a bug that will turn off the screen
7 everytime you either close X11 or switch to a VC. The screen comes back on
8 when you go back to X by CTRL+Fn unless you have shutdown X11. If that is
9 the case, then you have to restart it by typing blindly or ssh'ing in from
10 another machine. I haven't found a fix for this yet. Not sure if this
11 pertains to the mac mini they might be using ATI.
12
13 Good info at: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Apple_Macbook_Pro
14
15 If you plan on installing to the hard drive I recommend keeping a small OSX
16 partition (for firmware updates and stuff from apple) and using rEFIt as a
17 boot manager. http://refit.sourceforge.net
18 This is how I have it set up and its working well.
19