From: Andrei Susnea <clkshd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:36:25
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:18:39 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
5 >> I'm setting up a new desktop machine with RAID 0. The motherboard I
6 >> bought supports the so-called "Fake" RAID, which offloads most of the
7 >> processing to the system CPU. What are the pros and cons of using this
8 >> as opposed to pure software RAID?
11 > The advantage of FakeRAID is that you get to depend on a Windows-only
12 > driver that only works with your motherboard and will prevent the RAID
13 > working if the motherboard files and you try to connect the drives to a
14 > different system. For some reason,this gives Windows users a warm, fuzzy
15 > feeling.
19 Maybe you want pure hardware raid that's a pci(-e) slot that has a chip
20 doing all the parity calculations plus a battery keeping data that
21 didn't manage to write in case of a power failure. That's the best option.
22 For a mb in order to have fake raid capabilities from my understanding
23 it has to have a raid chip itself but still most of the calculation is
24 done by the CPU.
25 Software raid can be done OS dependant... and you don't need any
26 hardware or chips for that, it's a form of OS fooling itself instead of
27 the MB fooling the OS (fake one).
28
29 From my experience with fake raid 0 on 2 hdd's the speeds would be very
30 nice when talking about small files, but for files with 1gb or more the
31 writing speed would decrease as the parity calculations get more
32 complicated.