From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr/bin/time is in what package?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 09:54:56
1 On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 10:22 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > in what package can I find /usr/bin/time (not the shell's builtin) ?
5 >
6 sys-process/time
7
8 > Or, in other more general words: How can I find a package which
9 > contains a certain installable file?
10
11 In general you can't because, when you think about it, in the Gentoo
12 world most packages don't contain "installable files". The files don't
13 get created until build time, and then the files that are installed
14 depends variably on USE flags, CFLAGS, architecture, FEATURES, etc. etc.
15 So the set of installed files created by a package on my system can be
16 different than the set of files created by the same package on your
17 system.
18
19 But people don't like that answer. So there is a statistical, though
20 not always accurate way of finding out:
21
22 http://www.portagefilelist.de/