From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HAL or UDEV...
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 14:23:57
1 On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 10:20:03PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Carlos Sura writes:
3 >
4 > > I just have one question, reciently I read in a forum that HAL might be
5 > > deprecated on Gentoo, so, I started using UDEV:
6 > >
7 > > USE=" -hal udev"
8 > >
9 > > But, then I have this problem, updating xorg-server won't work, every
10 > > new version of xorg-server just give me a blank screen, so I thought it
11 > > might be something with HAL or UDEV.
12 >
13 > Did you rebuild all xorg modules with emerge @x11-module-rebuild or
14 > emerge -1 $( qlist -IC x11-drivers/ ) after building xorg-server?
15 > Are there errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
16 >
17 > > I would like to know if someone could tell me if I should be using HAL
18 > > or UDEV? I want to know more, differences, etc.
19 >
20 > You should use udev. All versions of xorg-server in the current portage
21 > tree already no longer have the hal use flag, so I assume HAL is not
22 > being used at all anyway.
23 >
24 > Wonko
25
26 Yep, use udev. Works fine here, even on my "~x86" thinkpad.
27 Refer to this:
28 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
31 If only my interface to the time-space continuum could be unix-like... With vim keybindings, cron, and everything!