From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] reiser4 Vs reiserfs for / on new Gentoo isntallation
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:15:09
1 On Sunday 21 February 2010 15:59:56 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 February 2010 16:16:51 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sonntag 21 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:
4 > > > On 21 February 2010 14:03, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 > > >
6 > > > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > > On Sonntag 21 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:
8 > > > >> I know that some of you have been using reiser4 for some years now.
9 > > > >> How does it compare in performance and reliability in terms to
10 > > > >> reiserfs and xfs?
11 > > > >
12 > > > > they don't even come close in performance. XFS sucks with files who
13 > > > > are not multi megabyte in size.
14 > > > >
15 > > > >> A few years ago I remember there were problems compiling or running
16 > > > >> some applications/libraries on reiser4 - are these problems now
17 > > > >> over? Any gotchas?
18 > > > >
19 > > > > a loooong time ago there was a bug when compiling kde and without
20 > > > > compression. Fixed shortly afterwards, never had a problem again.
21 > > >
22 > > > Thanks Volker for a prompt reply. Is reiser4 still being developed,
23 > > > or is Linux now moving towards ext4?
24 > >
25 > > linux is moving toward btrfs. ext4 is just a stop gap measure. One that
26 > > is only a good alternative if you don't care about your data.
27 >
28 > I know what you meant, and I know what Mick meant, but the question is
29 > nonsensical.
30 >
31 > In terms of filesystems, linux does not "move" anywhere. There are too many
32 > variables, too many options, too many scenarios to consider one fs the
33 > favoured one.
34 >
35 > The correct question is "Is this thing supported?". The answer is that
36 > btrfs, reiser4 and ext4fs are all supported.
37
38 I think that on this occasion (new laptop) I will try reiser4 and wave goodbye
39 to reiserfs for now.
42 Regards,
43 Mick